Posted on March 6, 2019
You might be thinking:
• What will getting braces feel like?
• How long will it take to get braces on?
• Will my teeth hurt when I get braces?
• Will I get sores in my mouth when wearing braces?
• Will the sores go away?
• How long do I have to wear braces?
Getting braces at Premier Orthodontics & Dental Specialists is an exciting experience! For many, it may be the first time you’re taking control of your smile – giving you more confidence in everything you do.
To get you ready for the smile you’ve been waiting for, our team at Premier Orthodontics & Dental Specialists put together a list of things you can expect when getting braces. We hope these tips help you as much as they’ve helped numerous others.
What to Expect When You Get Your Braces On:
1) It doesn’t hurt to get braces, but your mouth may be sore afterwards (Expect your teeth and mouth to be sore for about a week)
2) It usually takes 1-2 hours (That’s 1 movie or 4 cartoons)
3) Your teeth will be thoroughly cleaned and dried before we do anything
4) Next, we’ll apply bonding glue to attach the brackets to your teeth
5) Finally, arch wire will go between the brackets to connect your teeth, and rubber bands will secure it all in place
What to Expect When You Get Home:
1) Make soft foods your best friend – soups, mac n’ cheese, frozen yogurt, applesauce, bananas – you get the idea
2) Feeling a little pain and soreness is normal when braces are first put on (Take a pain reliever like ibuprofen or acetaminophen. Orajel® may also help.)
3) During the first few weeks you may experience mouth sores (Helpful tip: apply orthodontic wax to your new brackets to give those sores some time to heal.)
4) Avoid drinking things like orange juice or eating any foods that have a high acid concentration like tomato sauce or balsamic vinegar dressing
5) If your lips and gums feel sore, create a rinse of warm salt water (How to make the rinse: 1/2 tsp of salt per cup of water swished around in your mouth several times a day will ease the irritation and speed up healing.)
One of the most commonly asked questions we receive is – how long will I have to wear braces? This varies per person however a typical treatment time is anywhere from 1- 2 years. For problems that are harder to correct, or for older patients, treatment may take longer.
To keep from having to wear your braces longer than expected, take these steps to get the best results:
1) Stick to all your scheduled appointment dates.
2) Avoid any food that could damage your braces – especially hard and sticky foods!
3) Wear your elastics if instructed to.
4) Keep your teeth clean and healthy. This is a big one to follow!
Now, break out into your happy dance because you’re about to get a smile that will give you confidence for decades to come! To get started on your new smile, contact Premier Orthodontics & Dental Specialists. We have two locations in Elmhurst and Downers Grove for your convenience. Click here to book your complimentary consultation today!